|Posted by neuge6 on December 4, 2012 at 8:35 AM||comments (495)|
Even before there was a Whitehall Borough, there was a Whitehall Fire Company. The company held its first meeting on November 1, 1946, fifteen months before the Borough was incorporated. By June of 1947, the company had raised enough money to purchase its first piece of apparatus, a 1930 Seagrave pumper truck. The only problem was that there was no firehouse to store the truck, so it was kept on property owned by Fire Chief Chester Sayre. Meetings were held either in Chief Sayre’s garage or at the South Hills Sportsmen’s Club. Fire calls would be taken by the Brentwood Police and relayed to the Sayre residence. Mrs. Sayre would then activate a fire siren and call the homes of two other firemen whose wives would activate sirens located at their homes as well.
In November of 1948, the Fire Company moved into its own firehouse on Route 51. Although a new structure was eventually built, that location is still in use and is known as Fire Station No. 1.
A second firehouse was opened in 1954 near the intersection of Grove and Baptist Roads, what is now the Giant Eagle parking lot. A new firehouse was built later at its current location at 601 Weyman Road.
Whitehall has always wanted its Fire Company to concentrate on responding to emergencies, not raising money. As a result, the Company has long enjoyed the financial support of the Whitehall Borough Council and Borough residents. While neighboring fire companies spend a great deal of time raising money that is not the case in Whitehall. The Company conducts one annual fund drive that generates much of the money needed to sustain operations.